Allen Neal Jones is a 43-year-old wrestler from Jacksonville, North Carolina. He is currently signed to WWE and performs on RAW under the ring name, A.J. Styles.
Since childhood, Jones has been a fan of professional wrestling but was unable to watch it because his family couldn’t afford cable television. He attended Anderson University on a partial wrestling scholarship but left to try professional wrestling.
Jones made his wrestling debut in 1998 in a promotion known as National Championship Wrestling (NCW) where he wrestled as the masked wrestler, Mr. Olympia. He lost his first match to a wrestler known as Michael Brooks.
In December 1999, when the NCW merged with NWA Georgia to form NWA Wildside, Jones took on the ring name, A.J. Styles. He signed with NWA-TNA appearing sporadically. AJ Styles won the NWA Georgia Heavyweight Championship in December 2001.
Atlanta-based World Championship Wrestling offered Styles a contract in early 2001 and he was placed in a tag team with Air Paris called Air Raid. A.J. Styles also had a tryout for the WWF in July 2001 but did not make the cut. He made two more appearances for the WWF in 2002 and was offered a developmental deal contract that required him to relocate to Cincinnati, Ohio but he declined.
World Wrestling All-Stars
Instead, Styles began wrestling for Australian promotion, World Wrestling All-Stars (WWA) and then traveled to the UK to debut in Frontier Wrestling Alliance and then came back to the US to wrestle for IWA: Mid-South. In 2002, he joined Ring of Honor and quickly became a main event attraction. He teamed with Amazing and together they won the ROH Tag Team Championship and then became the ROH Pure Wrestling Champion.
In 2002, AJ Styles also began wrestling exclusively for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA). Styles’ career at TNA was impressive with him winning the TNA X Division Championship six times, the TNA World Tag Team Championship twice, the TNA World Heavyweight Championship two times and many other titles. From 2003 to 2005, A.J. Styles also wrestled on the independent circuit and in the coming years he then began working for New Japan Pro-Wrestling and various independent promotions including Combat Zone Wrestling, Revolution Pro Wrestling and Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.
After weeks of speculation and rumors, it was confirmed in January 2016 that AJ Styles had signed a contract with the WWE. Styles made his re-debut with the WWE at 2016’s Royal Rumble pay-per-view event. He entered as competitor #3 and lasted just under 29 minutes before eliminated by Kevin Owens.
In April 2016, A.J. Styles became the number one contender for Roman Reigns’ WWE World Heavyweight Championship but he failed to capture the title at PayBack. At SummerSlam, A.J. Styles defeated John Cena and declared that he was ‘the new face for the WWE.’ His win over Cena at SummerSlam earned him another opportunity at the title at Backlash against Dean Ambrose.
A.J. Styles – WWE World Champion
At Backlash in September, A.J. Styles defeated Dean Ambrose to become the WWE World Champion, his first championship in the WWE. He successfully defended his title for 140 days until losing to Cena at the 2017 Royal Rumble. A.J. Styles then became the number one contender for the United States Championship which he won when he beat Kevin Owens at a house show. A few weeks later, he lost the title back to Owens at the pay-per-view event, Battleground, only to win it back on SmackDown two days later. A.J. Styles’ United States Championship reign lasted 75 days.
In October 2017, Styles began a rivalry with then WWE Champion, Jinder Mahal, who he defeated to win the WWE Championship for the second time at a SmackDown episode filmed in England. For the next year, A.J. Styles successfully defended the title making him the eighth man to have held the WWE Championship for a continuous reign of a full year. On the November 13th episode of SmackDown, Styles lost his title to Daniel Bryan following a low blow, ending his reign at 371 days. Styles had a rematch with Bryan at TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs but failed to regain the title.
At WrestleMania 35, A.J. Styles defeated Randy Orton but suffered a hip injury leaving him sidelined for a month. In the Superstar Shake-up, Styles was drafted to RAW and he earned the number one contender’s spot for Seth Rollins’ Universal Championship. At Money in the Bank 2019, A.J. Styles was defeated by Seth Rollins.
United States Champion
Styles didn’t return to television until the June 24th episode of RAW due to injuries suffered at Money in the Bank. He then challenged Ricochet for the United States Championship but lost. At Extreme Rules, AJ Styles defeated Ricochet to win the United States Championship for a third time. He lost the title in November to Rey Mysterio, ending his reign at 134 days.
In January 2020, Styles participated in the Royal Rumble as entrant #18 but was eliminated by Edge. The following month at Super ShowDown, A.J. Styles was defeated last in a gauntlet match for the Tuwaiq Trophy by The Undertaker. At WrestleMania 36, Styles faced the Undertaker in a boneyard match in the main event. After WrestleMania, Styles took a brief hiatus but returned in May and was traded to SmackDown.
On the June 12th episode of SmackDown, Styles defeated Daniel Bryan to win the Intercontinental Championship for the first time. Styles successfully defended his title for several weeks but lost it to Jeff Hardy at the end of August ending his reign at 70 days.
At the 2020 WWE Draft in October, A.J. Styles was drafted to RAW.
Birth name: Allen Neal Jones
Born: June 2, 1977, Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
Height: 5 ft 11 in (180cm)
Weight: 218 lb (99 kg)
Spouse: Wendy Jones
Ring Name(s): Air Styles, A.J. Styles, Mr. Olympia
Current Roster: WWE RAW
Finishing Move(s): Styles Clash, Phenomenal Forearm
Career Championships and Accomplishments
- All Access Wrestling
- AAW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Ballpark Brawl
- Natural Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Christian Wrestling Federation/Entertainment
- CWF/CWE Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Family Wrestling Entertainment
- FWE Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Independent Professional Wrestling
- IPW Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
- Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South
- IWA Mid-South Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- International Wrestling Cartel
- IWC Super Indies Championship (4 times)
- Independent Wrestling Revolution
- IWR King of The Indies Championship (1 time)
- Maximum Pro Wrestling
- Max-Pro Cruiserweight Championship (1 time)
- Midwest Pro Wrestling
- MPW Universal Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- New Japan Pro-Wrestling
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
- New Korea Pro Wrestling Association
- NKPWA Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- NWA Wildside
- NWA Wildside Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- NWA Wildside Television Championship (3 times)
- NWA: Total Nonstop Action/Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
- NWA World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
- NWA World Tag Team Championship (4 times)
- TNA Legends/Global/Television Championship (2 times)
- TNA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
- TNA World Tag Team Championship (2 times)
- TNA X Division Championship (6 times)
- Pennsylvania Premiere Wrestling
- PPW Tag Team Championship (1 time)
- Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
- PWG World Championship (1 time)
- Revolution Pro Wrestling
- RPW British Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Ring of Honor
- ROH Pure Championship (1 time)
- ROH World Tag Team Champions (1 time)
- World Wrestling All-Stars
- WWA International Cruiserweight Championship (1 time)
- WWE – World Wrestling Entertainment
- WWE Championship (2 times)
- WWE Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
- WWE United States Championship (3 times)